Alaskans are not the keenest gamblers in the US. Voters have regularly shot down attempts at legalization and the state still appears to be happy with an economy supported by the oil industry. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t residents that would like to bet on their favorite sports.
Alaska sports betting sites offer loads of markets and events, but are they legal? Read our guide to learn how to bet on sports in The Last Frontier.
The Best Alaska Sports Betting Sites List 2022
There are quite a few sites offering sports betting for Alaska residents. But only the very best can top our coveted list. Below are the 10 best Alaska sports betting platforms owing to fantastic markets and events, lucrative bonuses, top payment options, and reputable gambling licensing.
- BetOnline – Best Online Alaska Sports Betting Site
- Xbet – Great Live Sports Betting in Alaska
- Bovada – Best Bitcoin Sports Betting in Alaska
- MyBookie – Unique Events for Sports Betting in AK
- BetUS – Excellent Sports Analysis in Alaska
- BetUSR – Great Horse Racing Markets in AK
- Sportsbetting.ag – Growing e-sports range in Alaska
- Everygame – Multiview Platform for Live Betting
- GTbets – Solid odds on US Futures
- BetNow – Fastest sign-up in the US
Best Alaska Sportsbooks Reviewed
Wondered what makes our top 5 so very special? We’ve reviewed the best Alaska sports betting sites on our list, so you can decide which will be the best according to your needs.
1. BetOnline – The Best Online Alaska Sports Betting Site
Ask any fellow Alaskan who enjoys a punt which bookie they use and we’re fairly confident they’ll say BetOnline. Closing in on 30 years of experience in the online gambling industry, BetOnline boasts a seriously comprehensive sportsbook with massive international coverage, excellent markets, and there are always great bonus promotions on offer.
Use the promo code BOL1000 and new punters can claim a 50% Sports Welcome Offer of up to $1,000. You can take that bonus and jump straight into everything from NFL, NHL, and NBA to international cricket and exciting e-sports betting. The e-sports coverage is exceptional with loads of markets for CS: GO, eNBA, and much more.
Alaskans can access 24/7 customer support and avoid the banks by using a number of the most popular cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin, Litecoin, and even Dogecoin.
BetOnline Review –
|✅ Massive international coverage||❌ High credit card deposit fees|
|✅ 24/7 customer support|
|✅ Regular promotions|
|✅ Top e-sports markets|
|✅ Good range of cryptocurrencies|
2. Xbet – Great Live Sports Betting in Alaska
With 256-bit SSL encryption and a real focus on security, Xbet is one of the best Alaska sports betting sites for those who really want to stay as secure as possible online. Feel as safe as possible while enjoying a racebook filled with international and US races with every bet type you can think of including Exactas, Trifectas, and Daily Doubles.
This Alaska sports betting site is all about the action with a web design that is sleek, simple, and has no bells and whistles. While not the prettiest to look at, this does mean you’ll get the best live betting experience possible – zero delays in odds, and your bets are placed instantly. Xbet is an international sportsbook, but the focus is certainly on the big US leagues like the NHL, NFL, NBA, and MLB. This is means individual matches will have loads of prop bet variety.
Payouts are on the faster side with most withdrawals processed in less than 48 hours. New punters can get up to $500 to bet with by using the promo code XB100 when they sign up for the first time.
Xbet Review –
|✅ 256-bit SSL encryption||❌ Credit Card deposit fees are rather high|
|✅ Great cryptocurrency support|
|✅ Horse racing rebates|
|✅ Fast live betting experience|
|✅ Loads of prop bet variety|
3. Bovada – Best Bitcoin Sports Betting in Alaska
This Alaska sports betting site may very well be the biggest and most well-known name in the industry. When you think of sports betting, you’ll likely be thinking of Bovada. Another bookie that’s been around for over 20 years, Bovada is a major sportsbook with a hefty catalog on offer. Spread betting, futures, three-ways – every which way you can bet can be done at Bovada.
The event coverage is excellent, and you will have no problem finding markets for that African or Asian soccer match that none of your friends care about. E-sports fans will love the coverage at Bovada with great odds-on Call of Duty, CS: GO, Overwatch, and much more.
The welcome bonus is a touch smaller for your average punter at $250. However, bitcoin users can claim up to $750 in a sports bonus by using the promo code BTCSWB750.
Bovada Review –
|✅ Excellent web design||❌ High deposit fees|
|✅ Great e-sports odds||❌Weaker racebook than top competitors|
|✅ Bitcoin-focused promotions|
|✅ Loads of bet types|
|✅ Trusted brand in Alaska|
4. MyBookie – Unique Events for Sports Betting in AK
MyBookie is certainly one of the stranger platforms for sports betting in Alaska – in the best way possible. Sure, you get great international and US coverage, but the events don’t stop there. Head to the special wagers tab and you’ll find markets for the strangest events such as betting on the existence of aliens or the outcome of blockbuster Hollywood films! All the major US leagues have brilliant coverage and you’ll even be able to bet on some more exotic leagues like the CFL.
You’ll find great e-sports coverage here with particular brilliance in its League of Legends coverage – the market depth has to be seen to be believed. In fact, MyBookie is probably your best bet for e-sports betting in Alaska.
New players from Alaska can claim up to $1,000 by using the promo code MYB100. You’ll find plenty more bonuses too once you get started with horse racing rebates, reload offers, and a refer-a-friend bonus.
MyBookie Review –
|✅ Exotic league coverage||❌ Some high bonus rollover requirements|
|✅ Best e-sports market depth|
|✅ Tons of regular bonuses|
|✅ Bet on unique global events|
5. BetUS – Excellent Sports Analysis in Alaska
Launched way back in 1994, BetUS know a thing or two about sports betting in the US market. With US in the name, it’s no surprise that the market and event coverage for North American sports is exceptional – NFL games have been known to have more than 40 prop bet options. We also noted fantastic odds for e-sports including less advertised matches like Tekken and Valorant.
The BetUS TV platform is another welcome addition with loads of videos from leading experts covering match predictions, betting advice, and match analysis for a range of sports. The platform has even been known to live stream horse racing.
The sports betting welcome bonus is one of the most lucrative in the US – up to $2,500 by using the promo code JOIN125. Add a crypto bonus and casino bonus and you can start with upwards of $4,000 in bonus funds.
BetUS Review –
|✅ BetUS TV for analysis||❌ Combined bonus has a high rollover|
|✅ Niche e-sports events||❌Web design can feel cluttered for new punters|
|✅ Massive NFL market coverage|
|✅ Huge welcome bonuses|
|✅ Racing live streaming|
Alaska Betting Sites Comparison
For a snapshot of the best Alaska sports betting sites for your consideration, check out our table detailing the welcome bonuses, available markets, and payment options at our leading bookies.
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment Methods|
|BetOnline||50% deposit match up to $1,000||BOL1000||AFL, Cricket, badminton, boxing, field hockey, snooker, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple|
|Xbet||100% deposit match up to $500||XB100||Baseball, basketball, NFL, golf, soccer, tennis, horse racing, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Ripple|
|Bovada||75% Bitcoin deposit match up to $750||BTCSWB750||AFL, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|MyBookie||Double Deposit Bonus up to $1,000||MYB100||Basketball, boxing, eSports, surfing, WWE, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum|
|BetUS||125% deposit match up to $2,500||JOIN125||NFL, baseball, e-sports, ice hockey, tennis, and more||Yes||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
Is Sports Betting Legal in Alaska?
Sports betting laws in Alaska are covered in the State Statute Codes: 11.66.200; 05.15.680. So, is sports betting legal in Alaska? Unfortunately, the answer is no. Gambling laws in Alaska are among the strictest in the US and all forms of sports gambling – with the exception of DFS – is not allowed.
This has left the residents who do wish to gamble on sports with two options – either do not bet on sports or choose to gamble with offshore betting sites like BetOnline. These offshore platforms are based outside the US and do not fall under US jurisdictions. While these operators do accept Alaskan residents, it is technically illegal – it’s just that nobody has ever been chased up for it, as far as our research has shown.
Several attempts have been made over the years to legalize gambling, online gambling, and sports betting. However, those attempts have always failed spectacularly. Check out this timeline to see how gambling laws have progressed in The Last Frontier.
- 1960 – Control of gaming activity given to the Department of Revenue
- 1986 – Indian Gaming Regulatory Act passes which allows class II tribal casinos in Alaska
- 1990 – A proposal for legalized gambling is rejected.
- 2003 – HB240 proposed a state lottery system but it was rejected by the state legislature.
- 2004 – An attempt to create an Alaskan Gaming Commission is squashed.
- 2008 – an attempt at creating both a lottery system and gaming commission was defeated by a vote.
- 2018 – Sports betting in the US is legalized at a federal level, allowing states to easily legalize the practice. Alaska does not do so.
Gambling Tax in Alaska
Paying tax on gambling winnings using an offshore gambling site is a rather tricky topic. Most Alaskans won’t ever need to pay income tax and with most gambling being illegal, the idea of gambling tax gets tricker. There is a 33% tax placed on gambling winnings that occur on Large Passenger Vessels that operate within Alaskan waters.
Some Alaska sports betting sites may report high winnings to the IRS although a player would need to consult the terms and conditions of the operator to confirm such practices. It would be best to consult an accountancy or legal professional to determine the best course of action due to the unique circumstances of Alaska.
What Sports Can You Bet On in Alaska?
Alaska sports betting platforms cover almost every event you could ever think of. If it’s a professional league, it’s likely to have markets available at one of the leading bookies on our top list. You can bet on the most popular US leagues like the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB, but also soccer in Europe, international cricket, major tennis grand slams, or even darts in the UK.
Esports Betting in Alaska
Betting on e-sports is no different then wagering on any other sport in Alaska. It is still unauthorized, and residents will need to resort to an offshore gambling site like BetOnline to do so. However, for those who enjoy e-sports like League of Legends, CS: GO or StarCraft II, Alaska online sports betting sites do offer wagering on e-sports.
Types of Betting Markets
There is more than one way to place a bet at Alaska sports betting sites online. In fact, there are many ways and punters with expert knowledge of their favorite sports can use the different bet types to their advantage. Below are the most popular bet types for sports betting in Alaska.
- Moneyline – there is no more common bet type than the Moneyline. You’ll see these displayed as either + or – and the values depend on the likeliness of that market to win. For example, +300 means you could win $300 for a $100 bet but at -200, you would need to wager $200 to win $100. Punters from Alaska may prefer to switch betting odds to fractional or decimal odds to make things a little easier.
- Proposition – Prop bets are plentiful at Alaska sports betting sites. These basically cover any bet that doesn’t refer to the result of the event directly. Think of markets like Highest Goal Scorer, Most Touchdowns, First Team to score, etc.
- Over/Under – over/under bets are wagers that refer to an exact value in some way. Such as the exact number of goals in a soccer game or the number of home runs. You would bet on whether the value at the end of a game will be over or under that value. So, +2 goals would mean over by 2 goals or more.
- Parlay – this wager is the combination of two or more bets in a single bet. It could be made up of props, Moneyline, or even over/under. The various bets will together multiply the odds which can lead to some rather large payouts. However, every single leg of a parlay bet must-win for the wager to be successful.
- Live Betting – also known as in-play betting, this bet type involves wagering on an event that is currently ongoing, like betting on an NBA match as the match unfolds. The benefit is dynamic odds that shift with the state of the game. For example, the odds of a team winning change as the score changes.
- Futures – a future wager is a bet on the outcome of a tournament or league before that season ends. For example, punters in Alaska could place a futures bet on the Lakers to win the upcoming NBA season.
Bonuses at Alaska Sportsbooks
One of the biggest perks of betting on sports at an offshore betting site in Alaska is the amazing bonuses offered regularly. New punters can claim a welcome bonus just for signing up and depositing for the first time at an online Alaska sports betting site. Stick around and you’ll find various bonuses offered every month.
Usually, the biggest and most commonly claimed Alaska online sports betting bonus, the welcome bonus is a matched deposit offer of extra funds to use for betting on your favorite sports. The matched deposit bonus is where the Alaska sports betting site will match the player’s initial deposit with bonus funds.
- For example, a matched deposit could look like “100% up to $200 Welcome Offer”.
So, for the above bonus, a deposit of $50 would mean the Alaska sports betting platform would provide a further $50 as bonus funds. This type of bonus will almost always have a rollover requirement, which means that the bonus funds will need to be wagered a certain number of times before the funds can be released as real withdrawable money.
Often, an Alaska sports betting site will offer either free bets or free spins bonuses. Free spins are specific for casino gaming and basically mean free play on slot games. Free bets are where the operator will allow punters to make a single small bet for free – the bookie will front the cost of the wager and you will get the profit, minus the stake, should the bet be a winner.
A free bet will typically only be a few dollars – say $2 – 5 – and there will be some other conditions such as maximum odds and bet type. Most free bet offers require a deposit to claim the bonus.
This is the holy grail of sports betting bonuses in Alaska, and you won’t see them very often. A no deposit bonus is any bonus offer that does not require a deposit to claim. It could be bonus funds, free spins, or a free bet. If this bonus does offer bonus funds, then the amount will usually be rather small – certainly not in the ballpark of a welcome bonus.
This bonus goes by many names and is offered to existing customers. It is all commonly a park seen in VIP and loyalty programs. This bonus lets players recoup some losses when betting on sports. For example, horse racing rebates are quite common, and punters can get a small percentage of their losses back.
Key Bonus Terms
Check the terms and conditions of any welcome bonus at an Alaska sports betting site and you’ll see a few important rules. Below are three of the most vital requirements that you’ll need to pay attention to.
- Rollover – the rollover is the number of times a bonus must be wagered before it can be considered real money. For example, a rollover requirement maybe 10x for a bonus of $200. That means the bonus must be wagered to the tune of $2,000.
- Expiry Date – this is how long you’ll have the bonus funds for and clear the rollover requirement. Once this time expires, you’ll lose any remaining bonus funds. Expiration dates depend on the size of the bonus and often range from 7 days to 30 days.
- Minimum Odds – these are the lowest odds that a wager using bonus funds can be made at.
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Minimum Odds||Expiry Date|
|BetOnline||50% deposit match up to $1,000||BOL1000||Up to +125||30 Days|
|Xbet||100% deposit match up to $500||XB100||-200 – +200||30 days|
|Bovada||75% matched deposit up to $70 – using Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin||BTCSWB750||None||None|
|MyBookie||100% up to $1,000||MYB100||None||None|
|BetUS||100% up to $2,500||JOIN125||None||14 Days|
Deposit & Withdrawal Methods for Alaska Betting
You can’t bet for real money unless you make a deposit at your favorite Alaska sports betting site and naturally you’ll want to withdraw those well-earned winnings too. Thankfully, the best online Alaska sports betting sites offer multiple payment types including digital e-wallets and cryptocurrencies.
|Alaska Sports Betting Site||Payment Options||Minimum Deposit||Minimum Withdrawal||Payout Time|
|BetOnline||Cheque, Money Order, Visa, American Express, Mastercard, Bank Transfer, Wire Transfer, Skrill, Neteller||$50||$50||24 Hours|
|Xbet||VISA, MasterCard, Person 2 Person||$20||$25||24 – 48 Hours|
|Bovada||Credit card, debit card, MatchPay, Zelle,||$10||$10||24 Hours|
|MyBookie||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer||$20||$25||24 – 48 Hours|
|BetUS||VISA, MasterCard, American Express, cash transfer||$10||$50||24 – 48 Hours|
Alaska Mobile Betting Apps
The best Alaska sports betting sites can be accessed from anywhere, simply by using your smartphone or tablet. That’s because the websites are highly optimized for mobile browsers and are designed to work on everything from Safari and Chrome to Firefox and Opera. This means you merely need to punch in the URL of your favorite Alaska Sports betting site, and you’ll reach the optimized page.
If you would rather have a dedicated app, then the bookies on our list have you covered. Simply head to the iOS app store or Google Play Store and search for your chosen Alaska sports betting platform. We’d recommend Bovada since this bookie has a separate sport betting app – so you can wager on sports without the clutter of casino games.
How to Compare Alaska Sportsbooks
With so many bookies matching each other on quality, it can be tough for a new punter to tell which is best for them. We think their a few key factors that Alaskan punters can compare a sportsbook on, to determine how good it truly is. Every Alaska sports betting site on our list is exceptional, but here are a few things to look out for when choosing a bookie online.
- Range of markets – it’s not enough to just offer a few Moneyline options for each match. Check for a wider range of markets such as futures markets for whole leagues, multiple prop bets for variety, and over/under markets for when you really know your sport.
- Bonuses – every Alaska sports betting site will offer a welcome bonus, but you’ll want to compare on more than just the sign-up offer. Head to the promotions section of any bookie and you’ll see what bonuses are on offer for existing players.
- Payment methods – Alaskan banks won’t be happy seeing casino or betting site payments on your statements. Look for easy-to-use digital payment methods like e-wallets and cryptocurrencies. These are secure, fast, and discreet.
- Live betting & streaming – in-play betting is a great way to leverage your in-depth knowledge of a sport and take advantage of dynamic odds. You’ll need to look for a bookie that is easy on the eyes and highly responsive. Live streaming is a great addition, as you don’t have to leave the bookie while live betting on your chosen event.
- Licensing & security – a reputable license is one of the best signs that the Alaska sports betting site is safe. Licensing ensures regular auditing and testing for security, safety, and fairness.
Sportsbooks at Alaska Casinos
Lovers of sport and sports betting will likely be having a hard time in Alaska. With such strict gambling laws, there are no land-based casinos or sportsbooks anywhere in the state. That means there is no way for residents to bet on sports in person.
You could try hopping over the border to Canada, but then you’d have to learn and understand the laws of another country. This is why Alaskan residents have resorted to offshore gambling sites to bet on their favorite teams and events.
Are Online Casinos Legal in Alaska?
Just like online sports betting, online casinos are not legal in Alaska. Alaska Statutes determine that casino gaming – be it online or not – are games of chance and such games are outlawed. So, you won’t find any online casinos based in Alaska.
However, all the same sites on our list offering sports betting in Alaska are also jam-packed casino operators. These bookies like BetOnline and MyBookie boast table games, online slots, and live casino gaming with exciting tournaments too.
DFS in Alaska
While this state continues to push some of the strictest gambling laws in the US, surprisingly enough Daily Fantasy Sports betting is 100% legal. In fact, it has been since DFS has been around. This is because, in Alaska, DFS betting is considered a game of skill rather than chance and therefore it is legal to bet on.
Alaskan residents can build NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB dream teams using platforms such as DraftKings and Monkey Knife Fight. The legal age to engage in Daily Fantasy Sports betting in Alaska is 21.
Horse Racing Betting in Alaska
As you can imagine, the climate in Alaska doesn’t really support horse racing. So, you won’t be able to watch any horse racing in the state. Unfortunately, horse racing betting is also illegal, so you won’t be able to find any off-track betting spots either. The only way to enjoy horse racing betting is by using online Alaska sports betting sites like Xbet or MyBookie. The top bookies on our list all feature racebooks with coverage of both North American and international races.
Conclusion: Alaska Sports Betting
The isolated Final Frontier can sometimes feel like sports betting is impossible. Strict regulations have made betting on your favorite teams difficult but Alaska sports betting sites like BetOnline are the key. Featuring loads of markets, events, and great bonuses, offshore betting sites are the only way to bet on sports in Alaska.